Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Twiggy portrait created entirely from recycled junk mail? < 3

I recently came across the art of Sandhi Schimmel Gold, who creates these incredible collage portraits entirely from recycled junk mail, old postcards, photos, and the like.






She says:
"My work reflects our society's obsession with beauty through advertising - and the endless images that bombard us daily. It is a purposeful intermix of images derived from advertising and thousands of incongruent pieces - images and text - from advertising that arrives through my mailbox. Assembled like a mosaic; the paper tiles create an entirely new image - an eclectic and tactile portrait reworked in my imagination, utilizing materials that would otherwise go to waste."

"I create without waste. I upcycle junk mail, calendars, post cards, photos, old greeting cards, tags, etc... it's all paper waste I collect. I use only water-based, acid-free, non-toxic materials to create my work. It is completely eco-friendly. I reuse and repurpose canvas, frames, etc. whenever possible."

Check out more of her work here.

LOVE it!

1 comment:

Velour - Vintage clothing Melbourne said...

Not at all Sandhi - love everything about your work. x